Dual Enrollment/General Studies Certificate Pathway

Lexington Two's Dual Enrollment/General Studies Pathway is for 11th & 12th grade students not participating in the Early College program. Through a partnership with Midlands Technical College, this pathway allows students to take free college courses, with an opportunity to earn as much as 18-29 credit hours that could potentially transfer to a 2-year or 4-year college or university. 


The General Studies Certificate from Midlands Technical College "is designed to provide dually enrolled high school students with a broad general education foundation" that includes courses required for degrees at many 2-year and 4-year colleges and universities. Students would begin this pathway in their junior year (11th grade) with completion the following school year. This means students would complete the certificate requirements, receive their high school diploma, and go on to pursue an associate's or bachelor’s degree in less time, at a lower cost, and be better prepared for college level coursework.


General Studies Certificate - minimum 18 college credits (6-plus college classes) earned at no cost.

Required Courses 
(all courses required)
Elective Courses
(Only one 3hr course required) 
ENG 101 English Composition I Art 101 HIS 201
ENG 102 English Composition II CRJ 101 HIS 202
MUS 105
Music Appreciation ECD 101 THE 101
PSY 201 General Psychology HIS 101 HIS 102
SOC101 Introduction to Sociology *Other elective courses may be available


How could this benefit you?

  • Dual Enrollment introduces students to the rigors of college coursework early. Recent studies have shown that students who participate in dual-enrollment programs are more likely go on to get a college degree.
  • Dual Enrollment participation enhances students’ ability and skills to do college-level
    work and gives them confidence for future college success.
  • Dual Enrollment can significantly reduce the time and cost required to pursue post-secondary education, because students enroll early in courses that will be directly applied to their college transcript.
  • Dual enrollment gives students a jump start on his/her college education, saving time and money.
  • Approved Dual Credit courses on the high school transcript receive an additional weighting when calculating the GPA.


How does this work with the high school schedule?

Approved dual credit courses earn both high school units of credit and college credit hours. Therefore, many DE courses can count towards a SC High School Diploma Graduation Requirements, and directly affect high school the high school grade point average (GPA). In accordance with South Carolina state regulation, students may earn one credit unit toward the high school diploma for each approved three‐semester hour college course they successfully complete.  


Sample Student Schedule

11th Grade Schedule
12th Grade Schedule
Block Fall  Spring Fall  Spring
1st block
MTC Course - MW
MTC Course - TTh
No class on Friday
MTC Course - MW
MTC Course - TTh
No class on Friday
(2-4) MTC Courses
High School Course(s)*
(2-4) MTC Courses
High School Course(s)*
2nd block High School Course High School Course
3rd block High School Course High School Course
4th block High School Course High School Course
             *students can enroll in high school classes or continue with DE coursework depending on whether  graduation requirements have been met. 

What if I don't have room in my schedule for 6 classes or I want to start as a senior?

Juniors and seniors who are eligible may still enroll in dual enrollment courses. They have the opportunity to take approved courses that could transfer to a 2-year or 4-year college or university and receive credit for the courses they take on BOTH their high school and college transcripts.


Transferring Dual Enrollment Credits

Students should check with the college(s) they are interested in attending in order to verify course transferability. Colleges and universities have the final say regarding how college credit transfers to their institutions. Additional information on college course transfers and articulation agreements can be found on the website for the S.C. Transfer and Articulation Center, www.sctrac.org.